Flossing is important for your dental health, but it often gets neglected. If you struggle to maintain good flossing habits, you might have wondered if there is an easier way. There are lots of fun tools available to help make flossing easier, but are they effective? Do floss picks work? Let’s talk about the pros and cons of floss picks vs. regular floss.
Why is it Important to Floss?
Flossing is important because in order to keep your teeth and gums healthy, it’s important to keep them clean. You’ve probably heard that you should brush your teeth after each meal or 3 times a day, and that is important. But brushing alone only reaches about 60 percent of the surface area of your teeth, leaving roughly 40 percent prone to the accumulation of food particles, plaque, and bacteria, and at risk of cavities.
What are Floss Picks?
While traditional floss is simply a long strand of a special kind of dental string, floss picks are designed with small plastic handles that have a strand of floss stretched across one end. This design can make them easier to grip in your fingers and maneuver between teeth than traditional floss. There are even floss picks specially designed for children, featuring fun and colorful designs that are easy for small hands to hold, kid-friendly flavors like bubblegum or strawberry, and added fluoride to help protect their teeth.
For patients new to flossing, and especially for the young, elderly, or those facing physical challenges that affect their grip or dexterity, floss picks can be a game changer, allowing for greater independence to practice better oral hygiene.
Do They Work?
All of that sounds great, but do floss picks work? Are they as effective as traditional floss? It can depend on how you use it.
If you use floss picks like traditional floss and make sure that each area between your teeth is flossed properly, with the floss cleaning under the gum line on either side, floss picks can be a very effective way to clean your teeth.
For those who use floss picks simply to remove a piece of food lodged between two teeth or to floss just their front teeth for a quick smile refresh, it’s still important to floss thoroughly as soon as you get a chance, whether you use traditional floss or floss picks.
Ask Your Dentist
It can be helpful to make an appointment with your dentist to discuss your flossing routine. They will be happy to answer any questions you have about flossing like, “Do floss picks work?” and help you find the flossing solution that works best for you. If you prefer floss picks, they can also demonstrate how to use them properly so you can feel assured that you are giving your teeth and gums the best care possible.
Call our Tempe, AZ, dental office to make an appointment with a dentist who may be able to help you find out more about this topic, and improve your oral health.